Daniel A. Zehner
Hanover, New Hampshire
A.B. - 1966
Boston University School of Law
Juris Doctor - 1969
United States Military Naval
School of Justice
Fall, 1970 (ten week session)
New Jersey State Bar - November 1969
California State Bar - December 1972
U.S. District Court, District of N.J. - November 1969
U.S. Supreme Court - November 1985
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit - December 1993
[+] Professional Certifications and Memberships
[-] Professional Certifications and Memberships
- Certified as a Civil Trial Attorney by the New Jersey Supreme Court - January 1987.
- Recertified - June 1994.
- Recertified - July 2001.
- Recertified - January 17, 2007.
- Recertified - March 27, 2012.
- Memberships and Activities
- Member of New Jersey State Bar Association since 1969. Member of General Council 2013-2014.
- Appointed by New Jersey Supreme Court as a member of the District One Fee Arbitration Committee, September 1, 1976 through September 1, 1980; served as Vice Chairman August 30, 1979 through September 1, 1980.
- President, Salem County Bar Association, 1980-1981.
- Appointed by New Jersey Supreme Court as a member of District One Ethics Committee, September 1, 1993 through August 31, 1997.
- Member of New Jersey Association for Justice, formerly Association of Trial Lawyers of America, New Jersey since 1975; member of Board of Governors 1988-1992; Parliamentarian, 1990-1991; member of Board of Governors 2013-2014; member of Board of Governors, 2014-2015.
- Served as instructor at Trial Academy Workshops for Association of Trial Lawyers of America, New Jersey.
- Salem County Chairman and lecturer at The People's Law School.
- Served as lawyer coach for the Salem City High School Mock Trial Team in the New Jersey State Bar Association Mock Trial Competition, 2009-2010 and 2010-2011 and as a judge in the 2011-2012 competition.
- Currently serving as a court-appointed arbitrator in Salem and Cumberland counties for the arbitration of certain civil cases under the Mandatory Arbitration Program of the New Jersey Superior Court.
[+] Published Opinions
[-] Published Opinions
- Kimmel v. Dayrit, 301 N.J. Super. 334 (App. Div. 1997), modified 154 N.J. 337 (1998) involving the doctrine of informed consent in medical malpractice law.
- Kimmel v. Dayrit is cited in Buinno, Current NJ Rules of Evidence, (Gann), comment 8 to N.J.R.E. 703, comment 1 to N.J.R.E. 705, comment 3 to N.J.R.E. 705 and comment to N.J.R.E. 803(c)(18).
- Hill v. Evening News Company, 314 N.J. Super. 545 (App. Div. 1998) involving the law of defamation.
[+] Public Positions
[-] Public Positions
- Salem County Counsel, July 1986 through December 1989. Labor Counsel for County of Salem, 1985 through 1989.
- Military: Captain, U.S. Marine Corps, 1970 - 1972; Judge Advocate General's division; handled prosecution and defense of criminal cases before courts-martial under the Uniform Code of Military Justice.
- Continuing Legal Education: I have regularly attended legal seminars and lectures in my areas of practice for a minimum of ten hours each year commencing in 1987 and continuing each year through the present time.
[+] Professional Experience
[-] Professional Experience
- Following graduation from law school in 1969, Daniel A. Zehner served a three-year tour of duty as a Captain in the United States Marine Corps in the Judge Advocate General's Division. After completing six months of officer training and ten weeks of specialized legal training regarding trial practice and procedure under the Uniform Code of Military Justice at the United States Naval School of Justice, Newport, Rhode Island, he handled both the prosecution and defense of criminal cases before courts-martial at the El Toro Air Station, Santa Ana, California. During that time, he prosecuted and defended officers and servicemen charged with various criminal offenses under the Uniform Code of Military Justice. His experience included at least fifty trials involving charges ranging from attempted murder, sabotage of jet aircraft, larceny, possession of drugs, desertion, unauthorized absence and various other offenses. While stationed in Santa Ana, California, Daniel sat for and passed the California State Bar Exam and was admitted to practice in California in December 1972. Thereafter, he was employed as an associate attorney with the Law Firm of Wright and Finley in Santa Ana, California from 1973 through 1974 where he served as a litigation associate under the supervision of the late Dudley K. Wright, Esq., an esteemed and experienced trial lawyer and practitioner.
- In 1974, Daniel returned to Woodstown, New Jersey and went into private practice in the firm of Zehner and Zehner from 1974 through 1981 when he opened his own office for the practice of law at the firm's current location. The late Burton D. Zehner, Esq. was an experienced and successful practitioner in the general practice of law focusing in the areas of wills, estate administration, and residential real estate law and Daniel gained a great deal of valuable experience from the partnership.
- From 1981 through 2012, Daniel was a solo practitioner with emphasis on civil litigation and criminal defense as more particularly set forth in the Practice Areas. In January 1987, he attained certification as a Civil Trial Attorney under the New Jersey Supreme Court Trial Certification program which involved an extensive and detailed application process including peer review by judges and lawyers and successful completion of a trial practice examination. He has been recertified in June 1994, July 2001, January 2007 and March 2012. The recertification process involves submission of a detailed application summarizing the attorney's involvement in civil litigation for the recertification term. Certification and recertification attest to the attorney's competence, skill and involvement in civil trial practice under the standards set by the New Jersey Board on Attorney Certification and approved by the New Jersey Supreme Court. The goal at the Law Offices of Daniel A. Zehner is to continue to serve our clients in each case in a manner consistent with the above standards.
- Daniel A. Zehner was born and raised in Salem County, New Jersey, and attended public schools in the Woodstown-Pilesgrove Regional School District, graduating from high school in 1962. He left New Jersey after high school for college, law school, military service, and employment in California, and returned to New Jersey in 1974 and entered into private practice. He has been married since 1980 to Roberta Zehner who has been a Professor at Rowan University in the College of Communication in Glassboro, New Jersey for over twenty years. They reside in Woodstown, New Jersey and have three adult children.